Sunday, February 5, 2012

Tom's Reminder of our Blessings

Today is day four of renewing relationships with ‘me Honduran hermanous’ in El Carrizo and continuing construction for a beautiful home for the Flores family. I was unable to spend the day at the job site since a local bacteria decided that my stomach needed to be emptied. The missionary house is quiet and my thoughts are clear to write. This reflection is not situation specific to this trip.
Our lives have many blessings. More than we will ever deserve. My Christian journey began in a Baptist church in Richmond, VA. As a kid and through adulthood, my dad blessed me with his memories of the children of the South Pacific. He served to protect our country’s freedom, as did millions, during the Second World War. When he wanted to impress on my two brothers and I, he would remind us of the simple but blessed lives of the children and people of the Philippines. In 2004, I made my first NCBM trip to Choluteca, Honduras. Several trips have ensued since. With that first visit, I saw first hand and living proof of Dad’s message. The people we serve, in Honduras each year, are those people Dad would refer too. I am very proud of the history of America. But it is unfortunate that our own country’s affluences and life styles can distract us from the one true God. I am certainly not suggesting that one must become poor and live in poverty to understand what my Dad was telling my brothers and me. For me, first hand experiences are many times the best teachers. Those many distractions, that consume our daily lives at home, should not become bigger than our need to worship that which really matters… a clear understanding of life eternal through Christ’s example. I am thankful that Honduras has taught me as the people of the South Pacific taught my Dad. Now it is my responsibility and challenge to be this message for my family and friends. I hope that I am that representative of God’s kingdom here on earth. It is a blessing for me every time I can share my Central American experiences. Maria and I work very hard to teach our girls those lasting traditional principles. We are also hopeful that our three girls are paying attention to this as I did. Thanks to the families of El Carrizo and Reinaldo’s family for reaffirming this again for me this year. -- Tom

4 comments:

  1. I bet we see that shirt back in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please leave the shirt in Honduras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're feeling better, but it seems like this time of reflection was good for you, too. . .miss you! Maria

    ReplyDelete